The thought of jetskiing in Miami may sound like a dream, but the reality is it’s far more accessible than you might think. The scarcity of rainfall here creates vast expanses of shallow waters, perfect for jetskiing. These waters are protected by barrier islands that shield much of the 3rd coast from ocean currents and waves, allowing for calmer conditions that are perfect for jetskiing. Additionally, the Atlantic is warm enough to swim in all year round.
Inexpensive outboard engines include an electric start, making it very easy to get up and running without a lot of prior experience or special training. If you’ve used a lawn mower with an automatic choke, you’re pretty much qualified to get behind the handlebars and enjoy jetskiing in Miami.
It’s also a great way to tour and explore the many waterways and canals of this quiet little town. The canal system makes it possible to travel from downtown Miami all the way out to Key Largo without ever hitting seawater.
This maze of waterways are lined with million dollar homes, secret island getaways and beautiful waterfront bars.
Packing an extra tank is recommended, since you’ll want to make the most out of your session. The water here tends to be very shallow in many areas, which can make it easy for beginner riders to become stuck. Depending on how far you plan to travel, you might want to bring along some basic tools for small repairs.
Remember that it is essential to be respectful of the local wildlife. The last thing you want is an encounter with a hungry shark or curious gator while out on the water. Be sure to keep your eyes open and maintain awareness of your surroundings and you and your family should be fine.
So next time you’re looking for a fun day trip, why not consider jetskiing in Miami? You’ll be glad you did!
What are the best spots for Jet Skiing in Miami?
The best spots Jet Skiing in Miami are essentially where there is little to no boat traffic. This is the #1 killer of jet skiers; collision with another vessel. For this reason you should ALWAYS stay away from busy marinas and popular waterways like Biscayne bay.
Avoid the crowds, but also avoid secluded areas that might attract trouble. If you’re riding with children, be sure to only go where there are other people around. The last thing you want is for your kids to get lost in the maze of island waterways while you’re stuck behind a sandbar.
There are many small lakes and canals all throughout Miami-Dade County, so it’s fairly easy to find a quiet spot. Generally, the more remote and less trafficked it looks, the more likely you are to get into trouble.
It’s also worth mentioning that Miami-Dade County makes for some of the best waterskiing in Florida thanks to its relatively shallow water and uninhabited island paths. This is a great way to take advantage of the water sports-friendly weather without getting too far away from land.
If you’re looking for jet skiing in Miami Beach, your best option is to head to Haulover Park. This is an excellent beach protected by state parks that are well equipped with lifeguards and concessions stands. There are also picnic areas if you want to bring along a little grub.
This is the best option for jet skiing in Miami Beach, but it can get very crowded on weekends with beach goers and swimmers. Weekdays are your best bet if you would prefer less people to share the water with.
And of course, don’t forget to check out Sunny Isles Marina! This is one of the top destinations for jet ski rentals in Miami, and if you talk to any long-time rider they’ll tell you it’s also one of the best spots around. Be aware that parking can be an issue at this marina, but the rental stand will be able to provide you with everything you need.
Whether you’re a first-time rider or a seasoned professional, you should always follow these basic safety tips.
How much does it cost to jet ski in Miami?
The cost of jet skiing in Miami varies depending on the rental company, how long you’re going for and your experience level. If you’re a first-time rider it’s obviously going to be more expensive to rent that a seasoned traveler who is already comfortable with their own watercraft.
If you’re a beginner then expect to pay somewhere in the range of $85-100/hour. This will obviously provide you with more lessons on safety, but it may prove to be too little time for your liking.
If you’re looking to ride by yourself or with some friends for about an hour, expect to pay around $55-$75/person. Keep in mind that rates are often cheaper if you rent for multiple hours.
Jet ski rental companies in Miami are required to provide standard safety equipment, including vests and whistles. Additionally, they should provide full insurance coverage for any injuries or accidents that may occur.
If you’re looking for jet skiing in Miami Beach you can expect rates to be similar to the costs of renting in other parts of the county.
Let’s face it, there is nothing more exhilarating than jetskiing as fast as possible as you cruise through Miami’s waterways. Now that you have a little more information about the best spots for jet skiing in Miami, what are you waiting for?
What should I expect when you rent jetskis in miami?
- Another vessel. For this reason you should ALWAYS stay away from busy marinas and popular waterways like Biscayne bay.
- Avoid the crowds, but also avoid secluded areas that might attract trouble. If you’re riding with children, be sure to only go where there are other people around.
- Never leave kids unattended on the water. Always make sure they know how to swim, or keep them in a life vest at all times. This is just as important for adults who aren’t familiar with their surroundings.
- Do not ride your jetski if you are impaired by drugs or alcohol. You may think that you’re fully capable of handling your watercraft, but it doesn’t take much to lose control. Not only is this extremely dangerous, it’s also very illegal.
- Jetskis can be difficult to operate for beginners. If you haven’t ridden one before make sure the company offers personalized lessons and helmets which will make learning easier on you. You should probably avoid riding without protection if you’re new to the sport.
- If you plan on renting jetskis in Miami then do your research. Make sure the company has solid reviews, and always ask about safety equipment. Most important of all is insurance coverage, so make sure you know exactly what’s covered before signing anything.
- Lastly, be safe out there! Don’t take any unnecessary risks, and always ride responsibly. Have a great time jetskiing in Miami!