Kayaking is a great way to spend an afternoon. Whether you are adventuring on the open water or just paddling around in a small pond, it can be fun for people of all ages.
If you live in Austin and would like to try kayaking before purchasing your own equipment, there are several tour companies that offer guided kayak trips. These trips are a great way to learn the basics of kayaking and to explore some of the area’s best waterways.
If you are interested in purchasing your own kayak, Austin has several stores that sell both recreational and touring kayaks. You can also find gear, accessories, and lessons at these stores.
No matter what your experience level is, kayaking can be a fun and rewarding activity. Get out on the water today!
Table of Contents
Where can I drop off a kayak in Austin?
You can drop off kayaks at any of the following locations in Austin:
- Barton Creek Greenbelt – Austin Nature Preserve Address: 7400 Barton Hills Drive, Austin TX, 78704
- Lake Travis Zipline Adventures Address: 16604 Hill Country Boulevard, Leander TX, 78641
- Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course Address: 4700 Avenue A , Austin TX, 78719
- Colorado River Outfitters Address: 414 Colorado Street ,Austin
- Bull Creek District Park Address: 5201 Brodie Lane, Austin TX, 78745
- Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve Address: 2500 Capital of Texas Highway North, Austin TX, 78751
- Pfluger Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge. Address: 1219 W. 6th Street, Austin TX, 78703
What are some of the best places to kayak in Austin?
Some of the best places to kayak in Austin include:
- Barton Creek Greenbelt – Austin Nature Preserve – Barton Creek Greenbelt is a natural area that stretches from just south of Zilker Park to Lady Bird Lake. There are more than 7 miles of trails for hiking and biking, as well as multiple areas for kayaking and canoeing.
- Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course – Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course is located on the shores of Lake Austin. It features a 9-hole regulation golf course and also offers paddleboats, kayaks, and canoes for rent.
- Colorado River Outfitters – Colorado River Outfitters offers guided kayak tours on the Colorado River.
- Lake Travis – Lake Travis is an excellent destination for kayakers who want to fish. There are also several marinas that offer kayak rentals.
- Lake Austin – Lake Austin is a popular spot for kayakers and paddleboarders. There are several restaurants and bars along the lake that offer great views.
- Bull Creek District Park – Bull Creek District Park is a popular kayaking destination because of its proximity to Austin. There are several areas in the park that offer rentals and tours.
- Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve – Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve is another popular kayaking location because it has several trails for hiking and biking. It also has a nature center with exhibits and educational programs.
- Pfluger Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge – The Pfluger Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge is a popular spot for kayakers because it has wide flat areas that are perfect for beginners.
Is it safe to kayak in Lady Bird Lake?
Yes, kayaking in Lady Bird Lake is generally safe. People of all ages are able to enjoy kayaking in the lake, though it is important to be aware of the potential hazards. There are several companies that offer kayak tours on Lady Bird Lake.
Can you kayak in Barton Springs?
Yes, you can kayak in Barton Springs. Some of the rental shops offer tours that include a trip to Lady Bird Lake and then a short ride to Barton Springs for a refreshing dip.
Can you kayak on Lake Travis?
Yes, you can kayak on Lake Travis. There are several marinas that offer kayak rentals and guided tours. Some of the best places to kayak on Lake Travis include Hippie Hollow Park and Mansfield Dam.
Where can I kayak on Lake Austin?
There are several businesses along Lake Austin that offer kayak rentals and tours, including:
- Austin Kayak Tours Address: 912 South Lakeshore Boulevard, #101-102, Austin TX, 78741
- Lake Point Sports Address: 1701 S Quinlan Park Road ,Austin TX, 78741
- Austin Canoe and Kayak Address: 100 Great Hills Trail, #105B, Austin TX, 78759
What do you wear kayaking in Austin?
When kayaking in Austin, it is important to wear comfortable clothes and shoes. You should also bring sunscreen and a hat. Most kayaking tours supply life jackets; however, you may want to bring your own gloves and sunglasses as well if you have them available.
Can you drink and kayak in Austin?
Yes, you can drink and kayak in Austin. Some of the guided paddling tours on Lake Travis allow participants to bring their own alcohol.
Can kids go kayaking with you?
It is perfectly safe for kids to go kayaking with adults. Most businesses that offer rentals provide life jackets for children as well as adults. Kids are welcome on guided tours provided the group is small enough.
Who can go kayaking in Austin?
Kayaking is a great activity for people of all ages. Some of the businesses that offer kayak rentals have minimum age requirements, but most kayaks are designed for people of all ages and experience levels. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards before going out on the water.
What should you bring kayaking in Austin?
Before going out on the water, it is important to bring sunscreen, water and bug spray. It may also be a good idea to bring something for your feet in case you need to get out of the kayak and walk around. Most businesses that offer rentals provide paddles; however, if you have your own paddle you are welcome to bring it along.
Is kayaking in Austin expensive?
There are several businesses that offer kayaking for reasonable prices. Kayaks range in price based on size, durability and features. The cost to rent a kayak might be similar to the cost of admission at a local pool or water park. It is important to know what you will need before going out so you do not have any surprises when it comes time to pay.
Do you need a permit to kayak in Austin?
As we know no. you do not need a permit to kayak in Austin. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards and to stay safe when going out on the water.
What are some hazards kayakers might face?
The main hazard kayakers face is the weather. If you plan on paddling or swimming near any dams, check ahead of time to make sure the temperature is safe. Waterspots may be available ahead of time if the water is too hot. In general, it is important to pay attention to weather conditions before going out on the lake and dress accordingly.
How long does a kayak rental last?
Rentals typically last from three hours to a full day. Most businesses have a standard three-hour rental time with an additional charge for each hour you keep the boat out longer.
Does Lady Bird Lake have alligators?
No, there are no alligators in Lady Bird Lake.
What is the largest animal to be found in Lady Bird Lake?
The largest animal to be found in Lady Bird Lake is a catfish.
Are kayaks safe in austin?
Yes, kayaks are safe in Austin. Most businesses that offer rentals provide life jackets for children as well as adults. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards before going out on the water. Kayaking is a great activity for people of all ages and experience levels.
Do I need to wear a life jacket while kayaking in austin?
Yes, it is mandatory to wear a life jacket while kayaking in Austin. All businesses that offer kayak rentals provide life jackets for both children and adults. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards before going out on the water.
Can kids or dogs ride in an austin kayak rental?
It is up to the discretion of the business when it comes to kids and dogs in Austin kayak rentals. Some businesses have a minimum age requirement, but most kayaks are designed for people of all ages and experience levels. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards before going out on the water.
What types of kayaks do you have?
The types of kayaks you can rent vary by business. Some businesses have hardshell kayaks while others rent inflatable kayaks. Generally, most businesses that offer kayak rentals provide equipment for people of all ages and experience levels.
Can I fishing while I’m kayaking in Austin?
Only if you have a fishing license.
Can I bring my dog in the kayak in Austin?
It is up to the discretion of the business when it comes to pets in Austin kayaking. Some businesses will allow dogs while others do not. It is important to contact your desired business ahead of time and ask about their pet policy before making a reservation.
Do I need to know how to swim?
No, you do not need to know how to swim in order to kayak in Austin. Most businesses that offer kayak rentals provide life jackets for children and adults of all ability levels. It is important to be aware of the potential hazards before going out on the water.